The Lloyd Foundation was formed in 1972 from the amalgamation of two charitable trusts, the Lloyd (English School Cairo) Trust and the Lloyd Scholarship Fund.
The English School Cairo
The English School Cairo was founded during the First World War to provide a British education in Egypt for British children, many of whom were from poor and military families. The leading lights were Revd. C. T. Horan, who became the first Chairman of the Council of the school in October 1916, and Sister Margaret Clare.
In 1917, Mr. C W T Grose was seconded from the Egyptian Government to become Headmaster overseeing the expansion and success of the school for nearly 20 years until his tragic death in a car accident in 1937. Having started as a primary school, boarding provision and then a much-needed secondary school were added and in 1923 the school became a Church school, with the Bishop of Egypt and the Sudan as Trustee and the Church Mission Society sharing the buildings.
The Lloyd (English School Cairo) Trust and Lloyd Scholarship Fund
George Lloyd, Ist Baron Lloyd, became High Commissioner in Egypt from 1925 to 1929 and used his influence to further the school’s interest. A great deal of money was collected from private individuals and Lord Lloyd gave money for two scholarships, which ultimately in 1931 formed the Lloyd Scholarship Fund. The Egyptian Government generously bought the old school buildings and gave land in Heliopolis for a new school to be built and in 1938 Lord Lloyd returned to Egypt to lay the foundation stone.
In 1956, at the time of the war over Suez, the school was sequestered by the Egyptian government. Compensation was eventually paid to the British government and in 1966 the Lloyd (English School Cairo) Trust was formed.
The Lloyd Foundation
In 1972 the Lloyd Scholarship Fund and the Lloyd (English School Cairo) Trust were merged to form The Lloyd Foundation. Under the scheme, six trustees were nominated by four Founding bodies (1 by the Department for Foreign & Commonwealth Affairs, 2 by the Department for Education and Science, 2 by the British Council, and 1 by Churches Together in Britain and Ireland, (formerly known as Conference of World Mission) and four additional trustees were co-opted to the board.
The Foundation’s first Chairman was Mr. Douglas H Whiting OBE, a former Headmaster of the school from 1940-1949, and the first Vice-Chairman was Mr. James Livingstone CMG, CBE, a former history master seconded to the school from the British Council. In 1986, Mr. Cyril Golding, a former head boy of the School, became Chairman, succeeded in 1998 by Mr. Solomon Green, also a former pupil of the School.
The Charity Commissioners have agreed various amendments to the scheme over the years including changing the number of nominated and co-opted trustees and their terms of office. There are now four nominated and up to six co-opted trustees.
Mr Niaz Alam, Vice-chair
Ms Sarah Broughton OBE, nominated by the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office
Mr David J Fitton CMG, Chair - Finance Committee
Mrs Lyndsey M Kelly-Aberle, nominated by the British Council
Ms Sarah Howard, nominated by the British Council
Mrs Valerie Smart, Chair,
Mrs Pamela Thomas
Secretary to the Trustees
Rachel worked for 20 years as an IT analyst/programmer and project manager developing financial and HR systems for a multi-national chemical and pharmaceutical manufacturer. She now supports churches and charitable organisations with their administration, finance and IT.
Rachel has two daughters. She was a part-time gymnastics coach for several years and still keeps fit and enjoys walking in the Yorkshire Dales