Who can apply for a grant?

The Foundation supports the education of the children of British Citizens who are living and working abroad. To be considered for a grant, applicants must meet the following criteria:

  • One of the legal parents must be a British Citizen
  • The family must be living and working overseas (i.e. not UK resident)
  • The child is to have an English-medium education, whether in the UK or Overseas
  • There must be a clear, demonstrable need

The Lloyd Foundation’s grants are means-tested and directed to those in greatest financial need.

We will not fund those who have made a ‘lifestyle’ choice to live overseas but still wish their children to attend school in the UK. However, the trustees will consider applications in exceptional circumstances, for example, where serious illness, bereavement, divorce, sudden unemployment etc. have disrupted otherwise genuine intentions to self-fund. Trustees’ primary focus is on the needs and development of the child.

Who do you include in the term ‘parent’?

The term ‘parent’ is taken to mean the child’s legal parent. It does not include, for the purpose of determining eligibility, foster parents or guardians.

Are we eligible if we are living in the UK?

Families may apply in advance of moving overseas but funding will not be made available until you have moved.

The Foundation does not assist families once they have returned to the UK under any circumstances.

Do I need to prove that the child’s mother/father is a British citizen? How do I evidence this?

Yes, we need to see a certified copy of the parent’s passport showing that they are a British Citizen, or a certified copy of their British Citizenship certificate (after registration or naturalisation).

I am estranged / separated / divorced from my child’s other parent, how do I therefore provide their contact and financial details?

Proof of at least one parent’s British citizenship must be provided. Full financial disclosure relating to the parent / guardian and child must be submitted with the application. This includes any known contact details and financial contribution of the absent parent.

I am the guardian of a child with UK parentage, may I apply on their behalf?

Legal guardians or another relative (e.g. grandparent) may apply for a child but must still show that at least one parent is a British citizen.

Are there a maximum number of children in one family you will support, at any one time?…


Are half / step siblings eligible to apply?

Provided half or step siblings can provide proof of at least one parent being a British citizen the same eligibility criteria apply.

Back to top


What types of schooling are funded?

The Foundation can consider supporting an eligible child to attend:

  • local overseas school
  • independent / international school
  • distance learning or home-schooling programme
  • UK state boarding school
  • UK independent boarding school

At least 50% of instruction must be in English and it is usual for the school to follow the UK curriculum.

What do you mean by an English-medium education?

The majority of the teaching must be in English (that is, more than 50 per cent of the tuition time).

If the school teaches in English & another language, is this acceptable?

Yes, as long as the majority is taught in English.

Does an English-medium education mean it has to follow the British national curriculum ?

In many cases yes, to enable a smooth transition back into the UK system but as long as the majority of teaching is in English this isn’t a requirement. At secondary level it may lead to GCSEs, IGCSEs, A-Levels, B-TECS, International Baccalaureate (IB) or equivalent local national qualifications. Some parents will choose to use local schools following the country’s own national curriculum because of the integration and cross-cultural opportunities they offer.

Will you consider funding a place at a UK independent school?

Yes, although trustees will encourage parents to also consider state boarding schools given the significantly reduced cost. Information is available from the State Boarding Schools Association https://www.ukboardingschools.com/advice/the-state-boarding-schools-association/#.Xz1SeC2ZOfU , the Independent Schools Council (ISC) website https://www.isc.co.uk or a family’s Local Education Authority (LEA) in the UK.

What about tertiary education / university?

(ie. post-school full-time education which leads to a first degree or other recognised qualification)

The Foundation does not fund educational costs beyond secondary school and cannot fund university degrees. In some cases, the charity may consider a small transition grant for those who are already in receipt of a TLF grant and who are moving to university.

Does attendance at boarding school fulfil the requirements of UK residency for the purposes of university fees?

Parents are recommended to check current legislation and take independent advice on this matter, as the individual circumstances of boarding school pupils and their families vary significantly.

Is there a maximum level of fees you will support?

The level of support is dependent on the gap between funds that the family already has for education and the total educational costs of each child. Trustees have to balance the needs of different applicants against the limited funds available to them and we can only ever make a contribution towards fees. Parents need to be mindful of reaching the full balance. This is often through a combination of their own finances, school bursaries and other sources.

Does the Foundation require any information about the child from the school?

Parents / schools will be required to forward a copy of the child’s school report at least once a year.

Back to top


Can I apply if I have assets (e.g. a house) in the UK?

Yes, but we assess the asset and any related income (rent at market rate) and expenditure (mortgage payments, insurance, maintenance).

Do you have an income / expenditure template?

Yes, it is within our application form, which will be sent to eligible applicants following initial assessment.

Must I provide evidence of my financial circumstances?

Yes, we will need to see evidence of your assets, income and expenditure. Supporting documents may be valuation certificates, mortgage statements, building society statements, bank statements, payslips etc. Any information provided to us will be treated as confidential in accordance with our GDPR policy.

Can we apply for additional costs or do you only support tuition fees?

Funding is towards the full cost of educating the child. The application form asks for details of tuition/boarding fees, uniform, books and stationery (where these are not supplied by the school), travel to/from school for day pupils, educational trips and other extras.

What about co-curricular / extra-curricular tuition e.g. music lessons?

Extras such as sports, music, drama tuition may be included in the application.

My child has special educational needs or requires additional support, can I include these costs?

Where necessary the cost of support aids or personnel may be included in the application. Please supply a SEN statement or other relevant documentation.

Can I include the cost of travel to and from the UK/our home? How many per year?

For children boarding in the UK whose parents are overseas we will want to know where they spend the school holidays. The cost of one return trip a year to/from the family home overseas may be included in the application. However, where children are living with their parents overseas we will not fund the costs of flights to the UK for holidays or to see other family members.

Back to top


How much is typically awarded?

Grants are means-tested and depend upon total family income, expenditure, fees, costs and age of child.

How long is funding for?

Funding is usually awarded for 1 year after which a renewal request may be submitted to enable trustees to assess applicants’ changing financial circumstances and balance them against the educational needs of the child. Funding may be increased, decreased or ceased entirely depending on family circumstances.

How will funding be paid?

Grants are paid in GBP directly to the school in termly instalments following receipt of the fee invoice. Parents are responsible for any outstanding balances that may result from exchange rate differences, late payment, interest etc.

Back to top